Sunday, November 24, 2013

The shifting sands of East Head



East Head is a sand dune spit at the entrance to Chichester Harbour and right at the eastern end of West Wittering beach. I first visited by boat in my twenties when we'd cadge a lift on whatever floating vessel we could come by, bringing with us ball games and disposable barbecues. I borrowed a sailing boat once, forgot to put the bungs in before we set sail and only noticed when I saw it had sunk in the shallow water where we'd moored it. We got it afloat and made it home just, bailing out all the way.

Later I cycled here, via the small ferry that crosses from Bosham to Itchenor, and had similar mishaps with a puncture and a passing stranger who stopped to help us.

These days we come by car with dogs and a small child and just as my life has changed, East Head is always evolving too, a constantly shifting spit of sand anchored to the mainland by the briefest of hinges. If you look at historical charts you can see how the whole land mass has moved around the clock face over the years, from 3 o'clock in the 1700s to 6 o'clock where it is now.

These places that we return to time and again become markers in our lives, ways to measure the changes while all around us the sands are shifting.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I didn't know this place existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Clare, words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I really appreciate the comment. Sometimes you sit down to do a blog post and think "what the heck am I going to write to go with these pictures" and then it just comes... :-)

      Delete
  3. What lovely sentiments, also great that you are re-visiting favourite places with your own child now to make some lovely new memories. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfect, the light on the back of your boy's head is wonderful, and I love the shot of your dogs as well. Bet it was a bit nippy though?

    Popping over from Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very nippy, but the light (when I caught it) was lovely! :-)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful light, beautiful photos... and I love your message about the shifting sands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photos, the light was just perfect. Looks like a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment, I really appreciate your feedback and messages!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...