I have already forgotten how many weeks have gone by since we started the house remodel. It feels like a lifetime since we last saw the rooms of the old house intact, but we are nearer the end that the beginning now and everyone is feeling optimistic.
Today most of our new and replacement windows went in. I held my breath the whole day wondering if we've made the right choice to put sash windows into a period-less (but hundred year-old) property, but they went in and I swooned a little at their loveliness.
Back when we started with an old bungalow and a blank piece of paper for this remodel I told our architect that I wanted it to be a "jacket and jeans house." Smart, but approachable, the kind of house that makes you say "ahhh isn't it lovely" rather than "Wow, isn't it impressive"
He took all my collected architectural fantasies from a Pinterest board and pulled them together into something that made immediate sense, but still I have little islands of doubt where I question myself.
Inside we are now making choices we will live with for a long time. Kitting out two bathrooms in a way that hopefully won't date. I wanted tongue and groove boarding for the main bathroom so we researched and then ordered moisture resistant MDF boarding, which looked immensely disappointing when they arrived - Sort of green and cardboard like! Apparently it is great when painted, but privately this is another area I am holding my breath on!
Next week we have a very exciting development lined up as the scaffolding (in the most part) will be coming down ahead of the render and weatherboard going up. For the first time we will be able to see the house as one and see the views we will have upstairs too (which are currently hidden by the wrap) after that I may allow myself to think about interiors, settling in and unpacking...
PS - I forgot to add, last week we finally had approval on our materials from the council. Yes that's the materials we already had ordered or installed, like the slates, the windows, the sofits and the weatherboard. They had a maximum of 12 weeks to approve it and they took 11 weeks and 6 days.