Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fabric love in London

fqrbee21
fqrbee17
fqrbee11
fqrbee3
fqrbee7
fqrbee10
FQR Bumbling Honeys Bee - Spring Fling!
fqrbee12

I should have been painting our cabin in the garden today (yes, still!) but instead I escaped to London for a day with some fellow quilters. They are all names and faces who I have only known through Flickr and blogs until today, but who still feel like old friends.

We walked round Islington in the spring sunshine, admired the fabrics in Ray Stitch, discussed blogs, quilt blocks, patterns and the Great British Sewing Bee, drunk coffee and ate lunch.

As if that wasn't enough treats for one day, the train journey there and back meant I had 4 wonderful uninterrupted hours on the train to read my book (Past The Shallows by Favel Parrett) I can't remember the last time that happened!

It would have been so easy not to bother to go, so easy to make excuses and stay home (we have no roof, no one would have argued!) but I went and I'm so glad I bothered. It was wonderful to meet the people I'm making bee blocks for (and I'm relieved to discover that none of them are perfectionists or ogres!) to talk about blogging with other people face to face and to discuss fabrics and patterns in a language we all understand.

I always worry that I sound a little crazy when I talk to the wider world about my friends in the blogging community, so it's lovely to bring them a step closer to being real friends and not just virtual ones. 

Follow on Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a fun day! I can't wait to go to London this summer, I may have to do a bit of research first so we can "happen" upon some fabric shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be horrified at the prices compared to Canada, but it's always nice to look!

      Delete
  2. It was lovely to meet you finally, Claire! Dying to hear how Theo's hair looks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday was Worldwide Quilting Day, so it was the perfect excuse take the day off to go sewing. Here in Dorset I spent some time with friends sewing, chatting and eating some lovely food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a super day.... & your pictures capture it beautifully.... It is so nice to chat about those things without seeing eyes glaze over..!!! Enjoy your rebuild & look forward to seeing the studio evolve..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great day and lovely to meet you in 'real life'. Your photos as ever are perfect! Look forward to seeing your building work progress

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a lovely day - your photos are gorgeous. It's lovely to meet blogger friends in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just starting to appreciate this and SO looking forward to my first bloggers conference in May!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry I missed the meet up. Looks fab! Hope to meet one day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos of the day Clare. It was so nice to meet you in person and put a face to the name. Glad to meet someone who appreciates a natter about the intricacies of blogging as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of the day Clare. It was so nice to meet you in person and put a face to the name. Good to meet someone else who appreciates a natter on the intricacies of blogging as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous of you going to Ray Stitch it's one of my favourite fabric shops in London and I miss it sooo much! Meeting your online friends must be great. It's something I wasn't expecting when I started blogging but it's been lovely making connections with people from all over. I haven't visited your blog properly for a while as I follow it on Bloglovin' and this may have happened a while ago but I love the new look! Now all those lovely pictures of gorgeous fabric is tempting me to do some online shopping! Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds amazing and fun! I think I may have to pop in to the fabric shop when I visit London in just over a week. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You was in my neck of the woods, I used to live just around the corner from there! Ray Stitch is one of my favourite fabric shops!
    How lovely to meet up with blogger and bee friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment, I really appreciate your feedback and messages!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...