Friday, May 21, 2010

Wow!

IMG_8910

Last month I blogged about the Red Arrows being on exercise in Cyprus. It was the start of their visit to the island, and they were spending a lot of time buzzing around the skies above my office at RAF Akrotiri. It was initially quite exciting, but after six weeks of displays three times a day, I became a little blasé to it.

IMG_8964
IMG_8947

What I hadn't realised, was that I was almost always seeing the tail end of an aerobatic manoeuvre as the aircraft repositioned themselves over our building, and then flew off to do the impressive stuff elsewhere, so I'm a little embarrassed to admit I hadn't realised the half of what they do.... until today.

IMG_8962

I was contacted by fellow blogger Blueberry Heart earlier in the week, she was visiting the island and wanted to see the Reds practicing, which got me thinking... I really should take the camera out and capture some pictures before they leave.

IMG_8990

So at 8am this morning, having phoned the Reds PR to find out where the display was "centered",  I found a spot on a virtually empty beach and watched the display.

IMG_9016

What I didn't realise was this was actually their very last day flying here, and the only other people watching were their assessors a little further along the beach from me.

IMG_9020

What can I say? An (almost) private display of mind-blowing aerobatics over the beautiful blue Mediterranean sea... Not something you see every day.

More photos on Flickr

14 comments:

  1. Amazing, thanks for taking the time out to take the photos and share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW! What amazing shots,and how thrilling for you to witness it.

    Bellaboo :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo, double WOW - we really like that kind of stuff. Great pictures, nice job. Don't really stop by and comment as much as we would like to, but we are always watching. Cheers

    KT and Lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, they are awesome aren;t they. We are lucky enough to live in a city which has a yearly aircraft display and they stun me every time

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh your photos are AMAZING!!Unfortunatley we didnt make it up to Akrotiri, but next year I will be virtually camping out to get shots like these; FAB!!!
    BH x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so fortunate to have taken this in...we have such displays in September with sooo many people clogging the roads to go see the stunts. I just go to the beach and wait for them to fly by...however not as visual as your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a privilege to have been witness to their beautiful skill in the air! Beautiful photos, you captured their flights so perfectly.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi and hugs! Bella and Macy, looks like you are in a wonderful spot! Look forward to checking out your adventures :)
    And, woah! Most excellent captures of these amazing aviators!
    Come on by sometime if ya like.

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW is right! That is an awesome sight- and such great pictures.
    Sierra-dog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what great photos and your own private viewing too!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for all your comments, I'm glad to know you enjoyed the photos - I'm kind of missing having them in the skies now they've gone...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wow!! they are amazing! Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment, I really appreciate your feedback and messages!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...