Friday, May 7, 2010

Harvest time


 What a topsy turvey climate we have here in Cyprus. Everything grows in the winter and then dies in the summer, and of course that means the harvest comes early.

I see these bales of straw in the fields as I drive around the island and it feels so wrong. I associate them with shortening days, a chill in the air in the evenings, the start of a new school year and the end of summer, not the beginning...

But there is a whole lot of summer ahead of us, and this weekend we are going to do something you'd only ever do on a sunny Cyprus posting... We are attending a charity breakfast which is being held 1km out to sea, at a buoy that is used for target practice by aircraft. We are taking our own supplies, but there will also be some sort of cooked breakfast/bacon butty affair provided too... Canada had its rodeos, Cyprus has its floating breakfasts!

And I have sewing to do...


This should have been the most straight forward project in the world. It's a wrap skirt from Weekend Sewing, no zips, no buttons, a fairly simple construction. My mother suggested to me that I made it in some inexpensive fabric, in case it didn't turn out how I was expecting....How could it not turn out how I was expecting I thought? And then, after I'd started it, I realised how many errors this book has in it...

It'll be interesting to see if anything wearable comes out of my efforts...

5 comments:

  1. How-to books with errors - couldn't you just scream? How do they ever get as far as being printed? Reminds me of a babycare book that caused me great confusion for a while some 18 years ago, until I realised it had evidently never been proof-read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got used to the early harvest although it is not quite time yet here in Lazio.
    The charity breakfast sounds like fun, but as for the sewing I would run a mile rather than attempt any such project.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 18 years of confusion! That is very funny... poor husband has had to put up with me being in a grump this evening as I try and cut more fabric and cobble together a skirt, I'm so cross! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I bet you'll do just fine with the wrap skirt! Yes, I can see how confusing the seasons on Cyprus must be....I'm confused just reading about them! But that's one of the reasons I like your blog....you tell about your life in an area of the world I have never seen. Thanks for all your pics.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Liz! It's crazy to think that we are ending spring and our growing season is just starting, and you are in the midst of harvest; but that's Mother Nature who sometimes, like me, just doesn't make sense! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment, I really appreciate your feedback and messages!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...