Thursday, May 17, 2012

What's been keeping me...

I've been pretty bad at posting over the last few weeks and that's mostly been because of a little project I've been beavering away on. Now that most of the initial work has been done, I thought I'd let you in on it.

But first an explanation. A year ago I went on maternity leave from my job in radio, and then in February this year (partly influenced by the 3,000 miles that now stood between my new home and my old job!) I resigned.

Since then there's been a lot of thinking about what comes next. Do I want to work? If so how much? What options are practical given that with the Army, we change location every two years, and that being far from family, childcare can sometimes be difficult.

I spent many months thinking about sewing/quilting related options, I did a (pretty disastrous) craft fair and even bought a semi-industrial sewing machine (it looks beautiful, but I've still not used it) and eventually concluded sewing is a lot of hard work that rarely pays what it deserves. Finally I started to dare to think about doing the one career I have always fancied and come very close to doing many times, and I realised not only was it what I wanted to do, but it was also the only practical thing for me to do.

Sooooo... I am cautiously and nervously stepping into the world of natural light family photography. It is something I am passionate about, that combines the creative and the technical in a way that my previous career also did.

hollie2_branded
sam3_branded
ball_bruce_hollie_branded

I have so much to learn, but I am reading, experimenting and educating myself all the time. There are many wonderful photographers out there and it is their beautiful photos that inspire me everyday.

DSC_0215
Freya
wicks-randy_family_1_branded

If you'd like to support me and are on facebook, I'd really appreciate a like on my page. In the meantime, I hope you have enjoyed seeing these early photos as much as I enjoyed taking them, and I hope (really hope) they'll be more to show you soon...

12 comments:

  1. Good Luck! My other half is doing a photography course - thanks to the Army - that focus' on commercial aspects of photography. Although he's adamant he only ever wants to do it for fun! I'd do it for a living tomorrow if I was good enough and wasn't such a rank beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are wonderful - good luck with your new career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent choice. When I posted how good your red squirrel photos I nearly put the comment "very professional" and then took it off again as I thought that your photography is so good you probably were a professional. Do it, Go for it, give it a shot. You are certainly talented enough to make a career out of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos - good luck with your venture - I'll be watching you as I try to make some similar decisions to those you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of luck in your new venture - live the family shot on the dunes at Lossie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare,
    Follow your passions. You are right - moving every two years puts you in line for jobs that are often ones that no one else wants. You have an excellent eye for photography. People will always want beautiful photos. And if you are on a base there will be lots of young people getting married and having babies... I loved those squirrel photos. Just wished I had my camera ready this morning when I saw Mrs. Duck and six babies walking proudly across the road from the pond to the ditch. She held up traffic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't reply to you directly Nancy (your settings prevent it) but thank you so much for our encouraging words! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you good luck on your new venture. My daughter is a photographer and each year she does our own family shoot (which is quite a production 4 siblings and their partners and eight grandchildren) and gives the photos to us framed as gifts. It is a lovely creative profession I am sure you will do well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you lots of luck with your new venture. Its all really exciting and your photos are beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Clare,
    From someone who always wanted to.. but spent a big part of her life being too damn scared, I think you should just do it!!!! I have finally adopted the attitude that life is too short for hiding in corners and if it don't work at least I'll know I gave it a good shot. Best of luck, your pictures are beautiful and look very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photos are lovely, thanks for sharing. Good luck with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment, I really appreciate your feedback and messages!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...